Microbial fermentation pilot plant
As an R&D pilot plant, this NRC facility offers flexibility, versatility and a broad range of equipment to rapidly convert laboratory results into industrial processes up to the 1500 L scale. While we work with firms of all sizes, these resources make us an especially attractive partner for small and medium entreprises (SMEs) that have limited capacity to invest in pilot-scale facilities compatible with current good manufacturing practices (cGMP).
What we offer
The microbial fermentation pilot plant is home to a multidisciplinary team of microbiologists, engineers, chemists and biochemists attuned to the biotechnology industry's needs. They take special care to design bioprocesses that can be smoothly transferred to industrial settings.
Areas of expertise include molecular biology, microbial physiology, bioprocess development, optimization and scale-up, primary recovery and extensive product purification, endotoxin removal, process control and biomonitoring, and production of good laboratory practices quality material.
- Engineering and selection of recombinant bacteria (Escherichia coli, Methylobacterium extorquens) and yeasts strains (Pichia, Saccharomyces)
- Production of peptides, proteins, nutraceuticals, organic acids, polymers, and probiotics
- Screening of media, microorganisms, cell lines, and cultivation conditions
- Bioprocess optimization
- Scale-up to 1500 L
- Handling of methanol-oxidizing microorganisms
- Testing of new monitoring/control equipment and reagents
- Purification and analytical services to support bioprocessing operations
- Technical and scientific guidance
- General or specialized training
- Documentation tailored to needs
- Molecular biology laboratory
- CL-1 pilot plant with bioreactors up to 1500 L
- CL-2 laboratory with bioreactors up to 150 L
- CL-3 facility for cultivation of pathogens with bioreactors up to 30 L
- Various equipment for primary recovery, cell breakage and initial product capture
- Laboratories and equipment for small- and pilot-scale product purification
- Micro- and small-scale parallel bioreactors for rapid process optimization
- Analytical laboratories for process monitoring and product characterization
Why work with us
For more than 25 years, the NRC's microbial fermentation pilot plant has provided multi-disciplinary expertise in the development, optimization and scale-up of microbial fermentation processes, as well as the primary recovery, purification and characterization of microbial products.
The biotechnology industry and the research community routinely use our facility to:
- produce preclinical material and research reagents
- obtain engineering data on process performance
- develop emerging processes into ones of use to industry
- purify sizeable quantities of biotechnology products
- train personnel in a semi-industrial setting
- design new bioprocessing facilities and seek advice on equipment selection
Contact us to discuss how our technical and research experts can help your organization meet its research and business objectives. We offer fee-for-service testing for the development of new technologies, services, and product lines. We can also develop customized research plans to it your technology needs. These plans can be delivered through research service or collaborative research arrangements.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: