Security Materials Technologies program
Defence and security, aerospace, automotive, energy
Armoured vehicles (AV) and personal protective equipment (PPE) are key segments of Canada's globally competitive defence and security industry. A joint program between NRC and Defence Research and Development Canada (DRDC), the Security Materials Technologies (SMT) program is strategically designed to invigorate the defence and security industry in Canada by developing, transitioning and integrating transformational materials technologies to improve the performance of AV and PPE.
At present, NRC is the only organization in Canada, and one of few in the world, with integrated expertise in the processing and performance validation of nano-engineered, hybrid and other advanced security materials. The unique capabilities offered through the SMT program provide Canadian AV and PPE companies access to world-class expertise in the design, prototyping and testing of advanced protection systems that will position Canadian companies as international market leaders for advanced security and armoured products.
Collaborate with us
Collaborate with us on strategic research projects to help de-risk your innovative ideas, reduce your start-up costs and accelerate your commercial development timelines.
NRC collaborators will help to develop and deploy validated high-performance, cost-effective protection systems with mass efficiencies at least 25% better than current systems.
Opportunities exist for:
- Manufacturers of AV and PPE interested in exploiting advanced materials technologies to create globally competitive armour products.
- Small and medium sized enterprises in defence and security interested in participating in networks and consortia to identify and develop new materials technologies for AV and PPE.
- Other government departments who want to enhance relationships with industry, stimulate industry innovation and increase industry receptor capacity.
These players also have the opportunity to collaborate with the wider industry through participation in the Canadian Security Materials Technology Roadmap.
The Security Materials Technologies program provides Canadian AV and PPE companies access to world-class expertise in advanced protection system design, prototype production and testing, including advanced nano-engineered and hybrid materials processing and performance validation.
Our Security Materials Technologies collaborators realize the following benefits:
- Access to world-class research infrastructure and unique expertise, combined with competitive rates, customized service options and measures to ensure partner confidentiality and data integrity;
- Maximal opportunities for collaboration between national and international industry players;
- Access to a network of research and development and test and evaluation providers; and
- Access to strong relationships with key industry and university allies through the Canadian Security Materials Technology Roadmap.
Technical and advisory services
We will provide key technical services and expertise on a one-on-one basis or as part of a multi-party collaboration. We provide guidance and assistance in proven approaches for technology development and validation. Our multi-disciplinary technical capabilities include:
- Nano-materials design (made to measure properties), formulation, fabrication and testing, plus full chemical and physical analyses and characterization
- Pilot processes for nano composites with a wide range of matrix materials
- Design, development, manufacturing and performance validation of conventional, hybrid and nano-modified polymer, composite and ceramic engineered materials and structures
- Multi-scale modelling of materials and structures performance
Collaborators and clients have access to an extensive range of facilities, instrumentation and equipment. Our facilities include:
- Nanotube production facilities (carbon nanotubes, boron nitride nanotubes) offering fabrication and prototyping for applications of advanced nano-materials
- Process development and manufacturing facilities for development of prototypes and pilot-scale production
- An extensive suite of materials and structures modelling and performance testing capabilities from nano-scale to full-scale structures, including advanced capabilities in non-destructive testing
For more information and to find out how we can support your business needs, please contact:
Online request form
Submit an online request for information about our programs and services.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: