Industrial Biomaterials program
With a growing demand for plastic and composite materials in the transportation and construction sectors, manufacturers are turning to industrial biomaterials derived from Canada’s plentiful biomass, including wood, lignin and agricultural fibers from plants like flax and hemp. The Industrial Biomaterials (IB) flagship program delivers a compelling value proposition by focusing on the commercial success and tangible impacts of bio-sourced industrial materials and advanced composites manufacturing.
With collaborators throughout the bioproduct supply chain, the IB program develops cost-effective and next-generation polymer resins, fibres, reinforcements and composites from non-food renewable and recyclable resources. Through the deployment of efficient manufacturing processes, the program will help Canadian companies to meet the growing demand for eco-friendly products through the use of biomaterials that are cost-efficient yet which meet stringent performance requirements.
- Lightweighting is not the only way to achieve fuel-efficiency goals
- Plastics Today: Natural fibers boost green credentials of lightweighting plastic composites
Collaborate with us
Collaborate with us on strategic research projects to help de-risk your innovative ideas, reduce your start-up costs and accelerate your commercial development timelines.
There are several ways to partner with NRC. We welcome collaborators from across the biomaterials supply chain, including seed and crop developers, growers, plant and resin processors, and industrial product developers and manufacturers.
NRC also works with key stakeholders in government and public research to develop new technologies that will transform biomass residues and byproducts from the agriculture and forest sectors into value-added biomaterials.
NRC's Industrial Biomaterials Flagship program empowers manufacturers to address areas of major public concern, such as the environment, economic development and climate change to meet the growing worldwide demand for plastic and composite materials that yield lighter, stronger, and lower-cost products especially for the automotive, surface transportation and construction sectors. By converting Canadian biomass into high quality, eco-friendly products, we enable manufacturers to reduce their expenses, energy consumption and raw material usage, while improving their offering to customers.
NRC conducts Canada's most comprehensive activities on industrial biomaterials. With our leading-edge expertise, infrastructure and equipment, we are uniquely positioned to address the technology needs of the manufacturing industry as well as the entire biomaterials supply chain.
Partners of NRC's Industrial Biomaterials Flagship program benefit from world-class facilities, unparalleled expertise and access to the latest innovations in industrial biomaterials. By collaborating with us, our partners will be able to optimize processes and products as well as increase competitiveness and profits while meeting performance requirements and delivering high-quality products.
Technical and advisory services
Our vast array of highly specialized services and on-site support includes:
- Plastic and bioplastic formulation, compounding and processing
- Conventional and advanced composite and biocomposite formulation development and manufacturing
- Large part prototyping for D-LFT (Direct Long-Fiber Thermoplatics), SMC (Sheet Moulding Compound) and HP-RTM (High Pressure Resin Transfer Moulding)
- Biofoam formulation and testing
- Biomass extraction, modification and characterization
- Biomonomer synthesis and polymerization, and biopolymer modification
- Bioproducts and biocomposite performance evaluation and testing
- Processing simulation
- Material fire and smoke testing
- Durability testing of ground transportation and construction products
- Materials volatile emissions and air quality testing
- Large-scale testing and evaluation of materials and systems
- Demonstration, validation, trials and showcases of Canadian technologies
- Qualification of building products for compliance with the National Building Code of Canada
NRC partners and clients have access to our Industrial Biomaterials research and technology development facilities, located from coast to coast.
- Polymer, Composite and Biomaterial Processing and Testing
- Biotechnology and Green Chemistry
- Large-Scale Building Materials Development and Testing
- Magna-NRC Composites Centre of Excellence
If you're interested in developing greener and more cost-effective bio-based products, expanding your network or knowledge base, accessing our advanced scientific infrastructure or connecting with our experts, contact:
Nathalie Legros, Flagship Program Leader
Online request form
Submit an online request for information about our programs and services.
Automotive, surface transportation, construction, material supply chain
"NRC is world-renowned for their understanding and expertise in bioplastics. Working with NRC sets the stage for significant technology breakthroughs that would be unachievable if we both worked independently. It's Canadian collaboration and innovation in action."
Toby Reid, Founder & CEO, Solegear Bioplastics
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: