Test and characterization for photonic devices and gallium nitride (GaN) electronics
Technical service highlights
NRC's ICT Portfolio offers test and characterization services that complement our core fabrication services. Our team of experts has experience in all aspects of materials characterization, as well as analysis and testing of discrete devices and optical integrated circuits.
NRC offers services in these two areas of expertise:
What we offer
The Canadian Photonics Fabrication Centre (CPFC) provides a wide range of in-house instrumentation and test equipment.
Electronic device testing
- fully automated probe stations for wafer mapping of direct current (DC) device characteristics, including those at elevated temperatures
- radio frequency (RF) characterization to 50 GHz
Optical device testing
- passive photonic integrated circuit device spectral response, insertion loss, polarization mode dispersion and polarization dependent loss
- semiconductor laser characterization, including light-current-voltage (L-I-V), relative intensity noise, quantum efficiency, temperature dependence and spectral characterization
- semiconductor laser lifetime testing
- active optoelectronic device electrical test, including pulse response and dc and low frequency impedance and transconductance measurements from T=80 K to 500 K
- optical film characterization in the visible and infrared (IR)
- measurement of optical material parameters, including refractive index, absorption and birefringence
Surface and Materials Analysis Capabilities
- atomic force microscopy (AFM)
- high-resolution X-ray diffraction (XRD)
- Hitachi S-4700 field-emission scanning electron microscopes (SEM)
- JEOL-JEM-2100F field emission transmission electron microscope (TEM)
- PANalytical MRD high-resolution X-ray diffractometer
- scanning Auger microscope and spectrometer
- secondary ion mass spectrometry (SIMS)
- infrared variable-angle spectroscopic ellipsometer (IR-VASE) for near- and mid-IR, with cryostat accessory
- Lambda 900 spectrophotometer for visible and near-IR
- PE983 spectrophotometer for near- and mid-IR with reflectance accessory
- variable-angle spectroscopic ellipsometer (VASE) for visible and near-IR
Why work with us
For Advanced Photonic Components (APC)
NRC has the largest concentration of expertise and facilities in photonic devices, photonics materials, and semiconductor device fabrication in Canada. Our researchers are internationally recognized leaders in their fields of expertise, which include silicon photonics, high-performance laser design and material science.
We are the only organization in Canada with a proven ability to support partners in bringing new photonic products from the concept stage, through materials and design development, to early commercialization.
For Gallium Nitride (GaN) Electronics
NRC is the only Canadian foundry for GaN electronics and a global leader in the field. Our GaN-based technology is proven to provide the best results for enhancing the functionality and reliability of normally-on and normally-off devices. We also continue to push the technology envelope, using shorter gate lengths to achieve higher frequency bands for radar and satellite communication.
By working with us and making use of our superior technology and technical support, you gain a distinct competitive advantage in the global communications sector.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: