Financial support for technology innovation through NRC IRAP
Fuel your innovation
If you're a small or medium-sized Canadian business pursuing technology-driven innovation, you may be eligible for financial support from NRC IRAP. We provide this funding to eligible firms under our technology innovation projects and youth employment strategy programs.
Am I eligible for financial support?
The answer is "yes" if you:
- are an incorporated, profit-oriented small or medium-sized business in Canada
- have 500 or fewer full-time equivalent employees
- plan to pursue growth and profit by developing and commercializing innovative, technology-driven new or improved products, services or processes in Canada
How can I apply?
If you meet the basic eligibility criteria, connect with NRC IRAP by calling 1-877-994-4727. We will evaluate your business and proposed project to determine:
- your business and management capabilities, as well as your potential to achieve the results and outcomes associated with the proposed project
- your financial capabilities and plans to commercialize the developed technologies
- the technical aspects of your project and its potential impact on your business
What happens next?
If we determine that NRC IRAP support could benefit your development and growth strategies, we will refer you to an industrial technology advisor (ITA).
Understanding your business
Your ITA may meet with you in person to understand your business in more detail, including your business strategy, the issues you face, opportunities for growth and your plans for the future. This information will help the ITA develop a diagnostic to identify perceived gaps and recommend strategies for addressing them.
Developing a project proposal
Following your ITA's assessment of your business and proposed project, they may invite you to develop a project proposal for financial support through NRC IRAP. We will assess your proposal within three months, taking into consideration:
- the project's technical aspects and potential impacts on your business
- your business, management, and financial capacity
- your assessed potential to achieve expected results
- your commercialization plan
- the overall market and commercialization opportunity
- the anticipated benefits to Canada
If successful, you'll receive the financial contribution to share the costs of your R&D project activities, and you will need to submit monthly reimbursement claims to NRC IRAP. Your ITA will support you throughout your project.
Canada Accelerator and Incubator Program
Please note that applications for the Canada Accelerator and Incubator Program are no longer being accepted.
The Canada Accelerator and Incubator Program was established as part of the Government of Canada's Venture Capital Action Plan to fund accelerators and incubators over a five-year period. Its non-repayable funding was made available to a limited number of outstanding accelerators and incubators that met strict eligibility and selection criteria.
The contributions of the program went toward incremental activities that expanded overall service offerings to early stage businesses and entrepreneurs, and helped promote a higher output of investment-ready small and medium-sized businesses.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: