Role and responsibilities
I am a Research Scientist and NRC Fellow in the Electrical Standards Group, NRC Metrology,1200 Montreal Road, Ottawa ON K1A 0R6. I conduct research into electrical measurements at extreme accuracy and into the fundamental constants of nature.
Current research and/or projects
I am providing primary electrical standards in support of Canadian industry, manufacturing and energy sectors.
Research and/or project statements
I have developed the Canadian reference standards for :
and I disseminate the values of those reference both inside and outside of Canada.
- Ph.D. Physics, University of Toronto 1982
- M.Sc. Physics, University of Western Ontario, 1974
- B.Sc. Physics and Mathematics (Hons.), University of New Brunswick, 1973
Professional activities / interests
- Past Chairman and Vice Chairman of the CODATA Task group on Fundamental Constants
- Chairman of the Consultative Committee for Electricity and Magnetism‘s Working Group on the SI
- Promoting redefinition of the SI system of units
- CODATA Task Group on Fundamental Constants
- Fellow of the Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers
- Consultative Committee for Electricity and Magnetism
- Elected Fellow of the IEEE in 2006 for international leadership in electrical metrology.
- The Astin Award for the Best Paper at NCSLI in both 2006 and 2007
- The NRC Outstanding Achievement Award for Research Breakthrough of the Year for work on the Planck constant in 2012
- The NRC Outstanding Achievement Award for International Leadership in 2006
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal
- NRC Fellow in 2016
‘The CODATA 2017 values of h, e, k, and NA for the revision of the SI’, D B Newell1, F Cabiati, J Fischer, K Fujii, S G Karshenboim, H S Margolis, E de Mirandés, P J Mohr, F Nez, K Pachucki, T J Quinn, B N Taylor, M Wang, B M Wood and Z Zhang, Metrologia, 55 L13, 2018.
‘A summary of the Planck constant determinations using the NRC Kibble balance’, B M Wood et al 2017 Metrologia 54 399, 2017.
Expertise - Sciences, Metrology, Mass and related quantities, Electricity and Magnetism
- Date modified: