Newcomers to Canada

Key government Web sites

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

  • Information on: sponsorship, citizenship applications, immigration in general.
  • Advice for newcomers (information about living in Canada, health services, housing, taxes, etc.)
  • Programs for newcomers (ex. Host program, Language instruction, etc.)
  • Organizations helping newcomers
  • List of key phone numbers and Internet addresses that may be helpful to you as a newcomer to Canada

Government of Canada

  • General information about Canada
  • Information source for Non-Canadians

Human Resources and Skills Development Canada

  • Information on obtaining a Social Insurance Number (SIN) - A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit identification number given to you for the purposes of income tax, Employment Insurance, old age pension or other government programs. You need a Social Insurance Number to work in Canada.

Canada Revenue Agency

  • Information on: Personal income tax;
  • Canada Child Tax Benefit - a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under age 18;
  • GST/HST credit - a tax-free quarterly payment that helps individuals and families with low and modest incomes offset all or part of the GST or HST that they pay.

Note: The tax year in Canada is January to December. You are required to fill your tax return by the end of April. For your 1st tax return, make sure to send a copy to the international tax office.

Health Canada

  • Information on general health issues

Environment Canada

  • Information on current conditions, local forecasts, previous meteorological events, and interesting weather facts or trivia.

Provincial and territorial Web


British Columbia


New Brunswick

Newfoundland and Labrador

Northwest Territories

Nova Scotia



Prince Edward Island




  • Applying for a provincial health insurance card and a driver's license

Private health

  • As there is a three months waiting period to receive provincial health coverage and health benefits through NRC, we would suggest that you consult with a private health insurance company.

Note: In the province of Ontario, the family of a foreign worker coming to work for less than three years are not covered under the Ontario Health Insurance Plan and by NRC. Therefore, a private health insurance is necessary.

Housing in Canada

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation

  • Advice on: Buying or renting a home, building, renovating & maintaining, mortgage insurance & investments, etc.


  • Search for a home online

  • Search for a home online


  • Very detailed maps for Canada and USA (search by address, by name, etc.)

Resources available in different areas

London Ontario

Ottawa Ontario

Vancouver British Columbia

Date modified: