Demonstrating effective interpersonal skills and working cooperatively and effectively within and across organizational units to achieve common goals.
Participates as a team member
- Assumes personal responsibilities and follows up on commitments.
- Promotes team efforts.
- Seeks others' input and involvement and listens to their viewpoints.
- Deals honestly and fairly with others, showing consideration and respect.
- Looks for opportunities to work with other groups or organizational areas.
- Initiates collaboration on projects or methods of operating.
- Involves team members in decision making.
- Discusses problems/issues with team members that could impact on results.
- Creates opportunities for people to relate on a personal level.
- Gives credit and acknowledges contributions and efforts of individuals to team effectiveness.
- Involves team members in addressing issues/problems that lead to i solation or conflict.
- Communicates expectations for teamwork and collaboration.
- Recognizes work capacity limitations in others (i.e. team members, organizational units) and takes steps to clarify or modify priorities, reduce or off load work, introduce time saving efficiencies.
Demonstrates leadership in teams
- Structures teams for maximum effectiveness taking into account members' skills, interests and concerns.
- Assigns and communicates roles, accountabilities and authorities to maximize team effectiveness.
- Demonstrates flexibility in team leadership style and decision-making strategies to deal effectively with different situations.
- Deals with team issues in a considered and timely manner.
- Develops methods and means for maximizing the input and involvement of team members.
Creates and fosters a culture of teamwork
- Creates and promotes a culture and environment that fosters highly effective teams (e.g. breaks down historical barriers).
- Coaches or advises team members on how to resolve differences or deal with conflicts to achieve mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Establishes reward and recognition mechanisms and structures that promote effective teamwork.
- Models behaviours that maximize group participation by consulting, listening and communicating.
- Encourages collaboration and implements strategies (vehicles, mechanisms, etc.) for people to work collaboratively across organizational boundaries.
- Looks for and breaks down barriers to collaboration.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: