Openly communicating in a compelling, honest, persuasive and articulate manner, ensuring the message is clear, understood and consistent with NRC objectives.
Presents information that others understand
- Presents information and facts clearly and coherently.
- Shares information openly and honestly.
- Supports positions and conclusions with appropriate information.
- Actively listens (e.g. pays attention, probes and confirms understanding).
- Understands the issue before presenting a response.
- Reads and responds to non-verbal communication (i.e. body language).
- Uses clear and simple models to explain ideas or processes.
- Considers the viewpoint of others and recognizes the value of what they say.
- Does not hesitate to ask questions and seek clarification.
Fosters two-way communication
- Conveys an understanding of and responds appropriately to the comments and questions of others.
- Communicates in a tactful and sensitive way, e.g. by taking into consideration a person's background, expertise and needs.
- Knows which questions to ask, how to ask them to gain clarification, and whom to ask.
- Builds informal networks to exchange information and resolve problems.
- Anticipates and plans for reactions of others and tailors the communication approach to the needs of the different individuals.
- Channels conversation and debate towards practical consensus and results.
- Uses humour to keep communication open and to put others at ease.
- Clarifies perceptions and assumptions.
Adapts communication strategies to situations
- Quickly and easily reads the environment and cues from others to assess when and how to change track or planned approach.
- Identifies critical points of communication (e.g. project changes) and ensures all people are informed.
- Convinces others by demonstrating the validity of the underlying concept or approach leading to the solution.
- Influences others through consensus building, consultation and negotiation.
- Promotes meaningful and respectful communication, leading by example.
- Establishes trust and credibility through open, honest, and consistent communication.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: