ARCHIVED - Canada's Prime Minister and Special Guests Make 'Green' Announcement at NRC
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
March 07, 2007— Ottawa, Ontario
|Minister of Natural Resources Canada, Gary Lunn; Prime Minister Stephen Harper; and the Premier of British Columbia, Gordon Campbell.|
The Right Honourable Stephen Harper and several special guests dropped by NRC in Vancouver to deliver an environment-related announcement. In addition to welcoming the Prime Minister, Dr. Coulombe and NRC-IFCI DG, Maja Veljkovic, opened their doors to three federal ministers, a provincial premier and countless industry stakeholders and academic partners.
The Prime Minister announced that the Government of Canada "intends to provide British Columbia with $199.3 million*, as part of a new Canada ecoTrust program to support provincial projects that will result in real reductions in greenhouse gas emissions and air pollutants."
|Prime Minister Harper and Premier Campbell participate in a hands-on demonstration of fuel cell technology and deliver their announcement at NRC|
The Province of B.C. plans to invest part of the money to support initiatives that involve NRC, including the Hydrogen Highway project. By 2020, BC plans to reduce carbon and greenhouse gas emissions by 33 per cent, roughly 23 million tons of carbon dioxide or equivalent below current levels.
In the NRC maintenance bay, just prior to the announcement, media witnessed science at work for Canada, for Canadians and the environment during a fuel cell and hydrogen demonstration, led by Hydrogen & Fuel Cells Canada's President John Tak.
|NRC-IFCI DG Maja Veljkovic, Prime Minister Harper and Dr. Coulombe|
NRC helped gather senior representatives from the following organizations to be onsite for the announcement and for an informal industry briefing session:
- Ballard Power Systems Inc.
- Cellex Power Products
- Chrysalix Energy
- DPoint Technologies
- General Hydrogen
- Government of British Columbia
- Hydrogen & Fuel Cells Canada
- Hydrogenics Corporation
- Industry Canada
- Mag Power Systems Inc.
- Mountain Power Inc.
- Natural Resources Canada
- NORAM Engineering
- NRC Institute for Fuel Cell Innovation
- Power Air Corporation
- Powertech Labs Inc.
- Sacré-Davey Engineering
- Simon Fraser University
- Stantec Consulting Ltd.
- University of British Columbia
- Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières
- University of Victoria
- Westport Innovations Inc.
- Western Economic Diversification
* The Canada ecoTrust for Clean Air and Climate Change will be "established using part of the anticipated 2006-07 budgetary surplus. The resources for the Canada ecoTrust initiative will consist of $1.5 billion of new funding on a national basis. This funding will be contained in the upcoming federal budget and is a part of the actions to be taken on the fiscal imbalance. This new funding will be available as soon as Parliament approves that budget."
Enquiries: Media relations
National Research Council of Canada
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: