ARCHIVED - Extending the Reach of Knowledge
Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
January 04, 2004— Ottawa, Ontario
In the knowledge-based economy, social and economic development relies on access to fresh sources of scientific, technical and medical information. Among countries in the developed world, the widespread availability of scientific journals is often taken for granted and is seen as an everyday part of business. Such a situation is not the case among developing nations, which lack these key resources.
To help address this situation, the NRC Canada Institute for Scientific and Technical Information (NRC-CISTI) recently made all 15 of its scientific journals available to developing countries for a substantially reduced price. The journals, listed below, will be available through the Programme for the Enhancement of Research Information (PERI).
Bernard Dumouchel, Director General of NRC-CISTI, explains, "Information and knowledge play a vital role in a country's economic and social development. We are proud to contribute to the development activities of the PERI countries by ensuring that NRC Research Press journals are available to their researchers."
PERI is a program funded by the London-based International Network for the Availability of Scientific Publications. After an initial pilot period, the program began officially in 2002 and has spread rapidly. A total of 120 countries are eligible to access materials through PERI and can now choose from over 8,000 full-text online journals as well as bibliographic and reference databases. PERI also helps promote the creation of national and regional journals and provides training in the preparation, production and management of journals.
NRC Research Press journal titles available to PERI countries
- Biochemistry and Cell Biology
- Canadian Geotechnical Journal
- Canadian Journal of Botany
- Canadian Journal of Chemistry
- Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering
- Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences
- Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences
- Canadian Journal of Forest Research
- Canadian Journal of Microbiology
- Canadian Journal of Physics
- Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology
- Canadian Journal of Zoology
- Environmental Reviews
- Journal of Environmental Engineering and Science
- NRC Research Press Journals will be accessible to developing countries through PERI
- Programme for the Enhancement of Research Information (PERI)
Enquiries: Media relations
National Research Council of Canada
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: