Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
May 22, 2003— Ottawa, Ontario
100 Sussex Drive "Temple of Science"
The library can be reached from the large second floor rotunda. It occupies nine floors from the basement to the roof and was the largest library stack in Canada when the building opened in 1932. The metal shelf framing is continuous over the nine floors and the floors are glass plates (originally transparent), inches (approximately 2 cm) thick.
The reading room is two stories high with upper level galleries overlooking the main room.
The ceiling is richly worked with panels painted in floral motif. Travertine has been used for the walls, and the room features an Italian Renaissance design with stone artwork and a small marble balcony that stretches from the third floor main corridor.
Similarly to the auditorium, the ceiling is a work of art with painted, recessed panels in decorated wooden framing. The ceiling outside the library has recently been restored.
This was the National Science Library until the Canada Institute for Scientific and Technical Information (CISTI) opened in 1974 (Building M-55, Montreal Road Campus).