ARCHIVED - NRC Opens Its Doors - Photo Gallery

Archived Content

Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.

May 22, 2003— Ottawa, Ontario


Black and white photo of 100 Sussex Drive.

 

100 Sussex Drive
"Temple of Science"

May 1932 — While contractors were still very busy, Dr. D.H. Cook became the first NRC staff member to work in the building.

Mid-June 1932 — The Tenth Colloid Symposium held in the building was an international affair and could not be postponed as the official opening of the building had been delayed.

August 10, 1932 — The building is officially opened by the Governor General. An address was given by Prime Minister Bennett, and an Empire radio broadcast was arranged. A reception for the delegates to the Imperial Economic Conference was hosted by H.H. Stevens, Chairman of the Privy Council on Scientific and Industrial Research.

"Held under most distinguished auspices, the affair was attended by more than 2,000 people and was the most brilliant which has taken place in Ottawa for some time... The large building was ablaze with lights and two red canopies were placed from the entrances to the street. One entrance, at the center door, was kept exclusively for Their Excellencies, the Prime Minister of Canada and about twelve other outstanding guests." The Citizen, Thursday, August 11, 1932.


 
Slide 1 Slide 2 Slide 3
Slide 4 Slide 5 Slide 6
Slide 7 Slide 8 Slide 9
Back to
NRC Opens Its Doors

Enquiries: Media relations
National Research Council of Canada
613-991-1431
media@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca

Stay connected

Subscribe

Date modified: