ARCHIVED - NRC Opens Its Doors - Photo Gallery

Archived Content

Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.

May 22, 2003— Ottawa, Ontario


Black and white photo taken during the construction of 100 Sussex Drive.

 

100 Sussex Drive
"Temple of Science"

Construction of this building began in 1930 under the administration of Prime Minister MacKenzie King. It was built for the purposes of fostering the scientific development of Canadian industries for Canadian needs.

The building was officially opened on August 10, 1932 by the Governor General, His Excellency The Right Honourable Earl of Bessborough. On that day, an address was given by Prime Minister Bennett.

The building is approximately 418 feet long and 176 feet wide with 8 free-standing Doric columns of sandstone on each side of the main entrance. It is said that the structure resembles a scale-model of Buckingham Palace in London, England.

The care lavished on the construction of the building demonstrates that it was intended not only to be a functional laboratory facility, but also a work of art.

In 1932, newspaper reports of the opening ceremony referred to the building as the "Temple of Science" and this is an epithet that continues to ring true for NRC today.



 
Slide 1 Slide 2 Slide 3
Slide 4 Slide 5 Slide 6
Slide 7 Slide 8 Slide 9
Back to
NRC Opens Its Doors

Enquiries: Media relations
National Research Council of Canada
613-991-1431
media@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca

Stay connected

Subscribe

Date modified: