Canada-UK advanced manufacturing partnering mission
Request for expression of interest
The National Research Council of Canada Industrial Research Assistance Program (NRC IRAP) invites eligible Canadian small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to submit an expression of interest in building collaborative relationships with UK SMEs to address key problems in Advanced Manufacturing. The partnering mission will take place April 16 and April 18, 2018 in Toronto, Ontario and Winnipeg, Manitoba respectively. The goal is to begin forming strong partnership that can tackle high-value challenges in manufacturing, and submit proposals for support into the September 2018 cut-off for Eureka Eurostars.
- Create Canada-UK consortia to address high-value problems based on development of Advanced Manufacturing solutions.
- Identify broader opportunities for Canada-UK collaboration connecting Advanced Manufacturing capabilities in each country.
Canadian delegate profile
- Capacity and interest to co-develop industrial R&D projects with UK partners
- Committed to aggressive growth and global market expansion
- Sufficient working capital to undertake a multi-year R&D collaboration project and commercialize the results
- Already commercialized products in domestic or other markets
- Existing relationship with foreign partners or capacity to develop and maintain partnerships
- Company is in a market expansion stage and needs R&D to bring product to next level and new markets
The mission is focused on establishing industrial R&D collaboration opportunities (specifically technology validation, adaptation and co-development) to address identified problems in advanced manufacturing. The Partnership Development events are co-hosted by NRC IRAP in Canada, and by Innovate-UK and the European Enterprise Network in the UK. They will travel with the delegation of 15-20 eligible UK SMEs to Toronto and Winnipeg to identify and explore manufacturing challenges that could be solved profitably by a Canada-UK team sharing the risks and the rewards of building world class capabilities. NRC IRAP, though this request for expression of interest, will recruit a similar number of Canadian SMEs to participate in each of the two cities
April 16, 2018: Toronto, Ontario
April 18, 2018: Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Market and Technology Orientation
- Funding and Project Development
- Scheduled one-on-one meetings with potential UK partners
Canada-UK strategic partnership
During the visit by Prime Minister Theresa May to Canada in September 2017, a 10-year Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on partnership in science, technology and innovation was signed between the two Governments. The MoU aims to strengthen the ties between the UK and Canada, translating into concrete action between our respective innovation agencies to develop commercial opportunities.
Several key sectors of joint industry interest in both countries, one of which is in the area of Advanced Manufacturing. In December 2017, a joint team of SMEs, multinational firms, industry associations and research partners participated in series of workshops and bi-lateral discussions to identify complementary capabilities and opportunities for collaboration. This current set of partnership development events is a direct follow-on to that ‘scoping mission’, this time focused specifically on the SME-SME opportunities that can be supported via the Eurostars program to which both Canada and the UK are members.
How to apply for participation
If you are interested in participating in the Canada-UK Advanced Manufacturing Partnering Mission, we kindly request that you contact NRC IRAP by email as soon as possible to request an application form.
The deadline to submit the completed application form to NRC IRAP (IRAP.International.PARI@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca) is February 23, 2018.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: