Canada – Spain Call for EUREKA joint R&D&I projects
Deadline for submission: September 20, 2018
Within the cooperation practices that exist between Canada and Spain in the fields of industrial and technological research and development in the framework of the EUREKA program (in which both countries are active members) participants from both countries are invited to submit joint project proposals. This call is managed in cooperation with the procedures of the EUREKA innovation platform.
The National Research Council of Canada (NRC) and the Centre for Industrial Technological Development, EPE (CDTI) from Spain are announcing this Call for Proposals for joint R&D projects, focusing on developing innovative products, processes and services in all technological and market areas with a civilian purpose. Applicants are expected to develop market-ready solutions or projects which have strong market potential for Canada and Spain.
This call invites projects in ALL thematic areas or application domains.
2. National authorities
The Canadian National Authority is the National Research Council of Canada Industrial Research Assistance Program (NRC IRAP), Canada's premier innovation assistance program for small and medium-sized enterprises.
The Spanish National Authority is the CDTI, responsible for fostering the technological development and innovation of Spanish companies.
Both NRC IRAP and CDTI will provide all necessary assistance to project partners during project proposal preparation and submission, evaluation and monitoring phase. In addition, both parties will facilitate EUREKA application process and acquisition of the EUREKA label for accepted proposals.
These organizations will also provide access to public funding for the joint projects. The support will be given to each partner by its own Authorities in accordance with the national laws, rules, regulations and procedures in effect, on a non-exchange of funds basis, and subject to budgetary availability in each country.
3. Call launch and criteria
Call launched: June 18, 2018
Eligible partners are invited to present joint proposals for industrial R&D projects according to the following criteria:
- The partners should include at least one Canadian and one Spanish R&D performing company. Participation of research institutes/universities and other organizations is welcome as self-funded participants or as subcontractors according to each country's funding regulations.
- Organizations from other countries may also participate, but they will not be funded by CDTI or by NRC IRAP.
- The Canadian and Spanish partners must express their will to cooperate to the development of a new product, industrial process or service. The product, process or service must be innovative and there must be a technological risk involved.
- The project should have an obvious advantage and added value resulting from the technological cooperation between the participants from the countries involved (e.g. increased knowledge base, commercial leads, access to R&D infrastructure etc.).
- The project should demonstrate the contribution of all participants and the project must be significant to them.
- The participants are required, prior to obtaining the national funding, to have signed a consortium agreement.
Any partner whose cooperative R&D project is consistent with the aforesaid criteria can apply to the present announcement in accordance with the national laws, rules, regulations and procedures in effect.
4. Submission and approval procedures
Participants are invited to contact the officers from the National Authorities (see contact details below) before submitting the documents.
Partners will have to submit their applications according to the procedures of each National Authority:
- In Canada, the participants requesting financial assistance will have to submit a formal national application following the regular NRC IRAP process.
- In Spain the participants will have to submit a formal R&D international project application through CDTI's website including the Eureka Application form (in English) and a draft consortium agreement. Additional documents in Spanish language, containing detailed information on the Spanish participants, could be requested depending on the specific type of funding requested by the company.
Deadline for submission to NRC IRAP and CDTI: September 20, 2018 (12:00 h. local time).
5. Funding conditions
The funding support will be given to each eligible partner by its own National Authority. Funding conditions and eligibility criteria may vary from country to country. As a summary, the main funding criteria are explained below:
In order to be considered for possible NRC IRAP funding, the basic eligibility criteria are:
- be a small and medium-sized enterprise in Canada, incorporated and profit-oriented;
- have 500 or fewer full-time equivalent employees; and
- have the objective to grow and generate profits through development and commercialization of innovative, technology-driven new or improved products, services, or processes in Canada.
Before entering into a financial commitment with a client, both the firm and the project are evaluated on an individual basis during a consultation with an Industrial Technology Advisor (ITA) located across Canada.
In Canada project activities shall not start before the project start date indicated in the Contribution Agreement (funding contract).
CDTI will finance industrial research and/or technological development activities of Spanish companies. Universities and research centers can be funded as subcontractors.
In Spain, funding conditions for Spanish partners may vary depending on the nature of the project and the beneficiaries. For more information please visit the CDTI website.
In Spain, project activities shall not start before submitting the funding applications to CDTI. For further information, please contact CDTI.
According to EUREKA's practices, applicants may choose to request a label without public financing (e.g. self-funding is also applicable).
6. Contact details and project outline submissions
Mr. Eric Holdrinet
CDTI (Madrid, Spain)
Ms. Inmaculada Cabrera Hinojosa
Tel: +34 91 581 5607
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: