Machine Learning, Research Officer
Information and Communications Technologies
Fredericton - New Brunswick or Kitchener - Ontario or Moncton - New Brunswick or Ottawa - Ontario or Waterloo - Ontario
Help bring research to life and drive your career forward with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), Canada’s premier research and technology organization.
We are looking for four (4) vibrant and dynamic Research Officers to support NRC’s Information and Communications Technologies (NRC-ICT). The Research Officer would be someone who shares our core values of impact, accountability, leadership, integrity and collaboration.
The primary responsibility of the researcher in this position is to support the goals of NRC and the activities of the Information and Communications Technologies (ICT) Portfolio in conducting research of international calibre in machine learning, and the development and application of modern machine learning methods to computer vision, natural language processing, artificial intelligence, cyber-security, life sciences, engineering or manufacturing. The researcher will work in a team environment with other researchers and technical experts in world-class facilities. The researcher will be called on to participate in international evaluations or demonstrations of the team’s applied technologies.
Applicants must demonstrate within the content of their application that they meet the following screening criteria in order to be given further consideration as candidates:
PhD Computer Sciences, Engineering or similar discipline.
- Significant experience building statistical or machine learning systems to perform computer vision, natural language processing, artificial intelligence, cyber-security, life sciences, engineering or manufacturing.
- Significant experience and a proven track record of training statistical or machine learning systems in a “big data” environment, such as on a computer cluster.
- Significant experience in a team working on the development of large-scale systems.
- Experience creating novel algorithms or capabilities in machine learning or by using machine learning.
- Experience in participating in international competitions or shared tasks in machine learning, computer vision, natural language processing, artificial intelligence, cyber-security, life sciences, engineering or manufacturing would be an asset.
- Experience creating a strong publication record in top conferences and journals.
Condition of employment
Candidates will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- Knowledge of statistical and modern machine learning techniques, including deep learning.
- Advanced knowledge of the application of machine learning to at least one of: computer vision, natural language processing, artificial intelligence, cyber-security, life sciences, engineering or manufacturing.
- Ability to publish high-quality machine-learning-based research papers in at least one of the areas: machine learning algorithms, computer vision, natural language processing, artificial intelligence, cyber-security, life sciences, engineering or manufacturing.
- Ability to iteratively improve system performance through systematic empirical evaluation.
- Knowledge of Linux/Unix, a language such as C++ or Java, and at least one scripting language, such as Perl, Python, or Shell.
- Knowledge of one or more frameworks for applying deep learning, such as TensorFlow, Caffe, Theano, Torch, etc.
- Knowledge of techniques for running advanced algorithms in a “big data”, cluster environment, including knowledge of the use of GPUs.
Creative Thinking (Level 3)
Communication (Level 2)
Teamwork (Level 2)
Results Orientation (Level 2)
Initiative (Level 2)
For this position, NRC will evaluate candidates using the following competency profile(s): | Research
Relocation assistance will be determined in accordance with NRC's directives.
09/15/2017 (29 days)
Applications will be accepted until 23:59 Eastern Time
To obtain a copy of the job description
Please direct your questions, with the hiring number (101-17-0322) to:
Telephone: (613) 991-1123
- Date modified:
- This page is updated continuously.