NRC collaborative open space for manufacturing and automotive innovation
For access to our advanced scientific infrastructure or to connect with our experts in laser, surface engineering and microfabrication technologies, contact:
David Muir, R&D Director
Automotive, Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs)
Research facility highlights
The NRC London facility is part of NRC Automotive and Surface Transportation (AST).The facility supports the Canadian automotive industry, owing primarily to its proximity to the Canadian market, automaker and supplier manufacturing facilities and R&D centres. This sector is vitally important to the regional economy and is the focus of regional and provincial initiatives.
A new open-space concept, scheduled to be operational in April 2018, unique to the NRC London facility, is intended to be a collaborative workspace in which all levels of the automotive supply chain may work together with the NRC and the research ecosystem in Canada. Through this facility, we will provide technical solutions and apply them directly to our collaborators’ products and processes.
What we offer
The focus of this new NRC open space is to help Canadian automotive manufacturers adopt more advanced manufacturing approaches, including mass customization, process industrialization, and data-driven factory automation, as well as manufacturing with new materials and other new vehicle technologies. New capabilities will be developed to enable the digital factories (Industry 4.0) that will produce transportation technologies such as Connected/Autonomous Vehicles (CAV).
- Four laboratories for flexible and confidential work. Lab space can be expanded as required.
- Two vehicle bays, complete with lifts and related automotive shop capability. Each bay has the ability to maintain project confidentiality.
- A high crane bay as a manufacturing space for scale up and/or digital microfactory workspace development.
- Private office workspace.
- Meeting areas and conference rooms.
Why work with us
The key concept is to offer a flexible and agile collaborative space set-up to rapidly solve industry problems with novel technology solutions that can be integrated on a short-term basis. It is designed to be flexible and modular, with client confidentiality in mind. As such, we can address the immediate needs of industry to launch projects quickly to:
- Host collaboration projects in which NRC staff and partners integrate products/technologies from multiple members (academic, government, SME, NRC) into a digital factory or vehicle platform or subassembly, particularly if a neutral location is desirable.
David Muir, R&D Director
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: