Microbial fermentation pilot plant
If you need help conducting research for your biotechnology project, we have the solution you’re looking for. To access our advanced scientific infrastructure or to connect with our experts in biotech, contact:
Research facility highlights
The Microbial Fermentation Pilot Plant is home to a multidisciplinary team of microbiologists, engineers, chemists and biochemists who are very attuned to the biotech industry’s needs, including strategic or financial constraints. They take special care to design bioprocesses that can be smoothly transferred to industrial settings. The facility offers a unique combination of services, equipment and expertise, and has the added advantage of being able to call upon other NRC groups for specialized assistance.
Areas of expertise include molecular biology, microbial physiology, microbial fermentation technology (bioprocess development, optimization and scale-up), primary recovery and extensive product purification, endotoxin removal, process control and biomonitoring, and production of GLP-quality material. The facility handles recombinant microorganisms, as well as mutated and wild-type organisms.
What we offer
As an R&D pilot plant, our facility offers flexibility, versatility and a broad range of equipment to rapidly convert laboratory results into semi-industrial processes, up to the 1500L-scale (working volume of 1000L).
Our industrial experience – in addition to supporting an in-house research program – spans a wide variety of clients and collaborators, and a range of application fields, including, pharmaceuticals and biopharmaceuticals (peptides and proteins), nutraceuticals, environmental applications (such as cultures to degrade toxic chemicals), chemical production (including organic acids and polymers) and production of active cultures (probiotics).
Pilot plant’s main services
- Engineering and selection of recombinant strains (E. coli, Yeasts; Pichia, Saccharomyces strains, Methylobacterium extorquens)
- Screening activities (media, microorganisms, Cell lines, cultivation conditions)
- Bioprocess optimization
- Scale-up (up to 1500L)
- Handling of methanol-oxidizing microorganisms
- Testing of new monitoring/control equipment and reagents
- Extensive product purification
- Analytical services to support bioprocessing operations
- Technical and scientific guidance
- General or specialized training
- Documentation tailored to needs
- A molecular biology laboratory
- A BSL-1 pilot plant with bioreactors of various sizes (3.5L to 1500L)
- Various equipment for primary recovery, cell breakage and initial product capture
- A BSL-2 laboratory Bioreactors 1L to 14L
- Laboratories and equipment for product purification (small-scale and pilot-scale)
- Micro and small parallel bioreactors for rapid process optimization
- Analytical laboratories for process monitoring and product characterization
Why work with us?
For more than 25 years, NRC’s Microbial Fermentation Pilot Plant has provided multi-disciplinary expertise in the development, optimization and scale-up of microbial fermentation processes, as well as the primary recovery, purification and characterization of microbial products. The biotech industry and the research community routinely use our facility to:
- Produce preclinical material and research reagents
- Obtain engineering data on process performance
- Develop emerging processes into ones of use to industry
- Purify sizeable quantities of biotech products
- Train personnel in a semi-industrial setting
- Design new bioprocessing facilities and seek advice on equipment selection
By making use of this remarkable facility, you will be in a position to benefit from the experience of our esteemed experts, and to conduct world-class research, leading to groundbreaking discoveries in biotechnology.
Fees vary depending on the project and your requirements. Please contact one of our business experts today to discuss how we can help.
- Date modified: