Industrial partnership facility: Montréal
The Industrial Partnership Facility (IPF) at NRC in Montréal is a scientific complex providing turnkey laboratory space facilities and unique services to companies involved in biotechnology R&D.
The IPF was set up by NRC to promote synergy with innovative biotechnology enterprises. It provides both small and large companies alike with access to world-class expertise and advanced facilities to create, test and market their new technologies in collaboration with NRC multidisciplinary teams of researchers.
In addition to the crucial networking opportunities and visibility it offers, the IPF provides its occupants with access to NRC state-of-the-art equipment and services, as well as to support services at competitive rates. The IPF offers a unique working environment; but most importantly, it creates a favourable setting that enables resident companies to achieve their strategic objectives and quickly market their products.
The IPF is instrumental in the development of a vibrant biotechnology cluster in Montréal, which is the largest in Canada and one of the most dynamic in North America. With four major universities, several prestigious research institutes and a comprehensive international network of R & D facilities, the Montréal region provides a fertile ground for both early-stage and internationally recognized biotechnology firms.
Louise Demers-Thorne, Property Officer Quebec, Leasing and Property
The Industrial Partnership Facility offers turnkey research laboratory modules that meet the most exacting needs of biotechnology companies. Each laboratory module provides a 110 m2 area (1,100 sq. ft) that can be upgraded to comply with Biosafety Level 2. In addition, several laboratory modules can be grouped together to meet the specific needs of tenants.
Each laboratory module includes:
- An integrated office area
- Basic laboratory facilities such as counters, cabinets, sinks, fume hoods, eye-wash station and safety shower
- Other laboratory services such as natural gas, compressed air, deionized water and an emergency supply system.
Resident companies will enjoy access to a wide range of state-of-the-art equipment and services on a cost recovery basis. Access is granted based on a negotiated bilateral service agreement tailored to the needs of the client. The specialized equipment and services available at NRC include:
- Microarray laboratory
- High-Throughput Screening (HTS) facility
- Pilot plant with bioreactors ranging from 3.5 to 1,500 litres in size
- Separation/purification equipment for bioprocesses
- Level 2 laboratory for producing recombinant proteins and vectors for gene therapy
- Flow cytometry
- Computer-assisted molecular modeling work stations
- Ion mass spectrometer
- Analytical chemistry laboratory
- Custom antibody service
- Custom peptide synthesis service
- 800 MHz, 600 MHz, and 500 MHz magnetic resonance spectrometers
- Wastes biotreatability facility
- Microscopy and imaging facility
Less scientifically oriented, but no less important are the support services offered by the IPF to resident companies at no-extra charge:
- NRC National Science Library: scientific publications, business magazines, access to specialized databases, and retrieval experts for scientific, technical, and commercial information
- 24/7 security service, 365 days a year
- Electronic card access system
- Emergency response team
- Conference and videoconference rooms
- Free parking
- Washing and sterilization services
- Shipping and receiving dock
- Internal store for supplies
- Cafeteria and catering services
- Mailroom and postal services
- IT support
- Date modified: