Gas turbine research facilities
Research facility highlights
NRC Aerospace's gas turbine facilities deliver advanced technology solutions to the Aerospace and Energy sectors through multiple NRC aerospace and energy programs, both in civilian and military applications.
Our nationally-unique facilities, expertise, and technology risk management capabilities help both aircraft and industrial gas turbine engine OEMs, component suppliers and system integrators to develop and maintain a globally-competitive position in their respective markets, developing and validating technologies to meet ever-stringent environmental, safety, cost-reduction, performance, and fuel flexibility requirements.
We also work with fleet operators to validate and improve performance in special requirements and environments, as well optimize life-cycle costs through technology-driven enhanced maintenance, repair and operation (MRO) practices.
What we offer
- Combustion and spray test facilities, to support the research, testing and validation of low-emissions, fuel-flexible combustion systems, and fuel spray nozzles and injectors at realistic high-pressure conditions.
- Computational facilities, to support the numerical simulation and modeling of engine system aero-thermal fluid dynamics, and chemical reactions (combustion), engine ice accretion modelling, as well as engine or system thermodynamic cycle modelling.
- Engine aerodynamics test facilities, to support gas turbine engine fuel-efficiency improvements through advancements in engine turbomachinery (compressors, turbines and inter-stage ducts), engine inlet and exhaust systems, as well as test and validate the performance of engine probes.
- Engine test cells, to support engine performance, operability and certification testing, including icing, bird-ingestion, blade-off, alternative fuel certification, and endurance trials.
- Icing systems, to support engine icing certification testing and analysis, as well as development of icing detection and mitigation systems onboard aircraft and engines.
- Mechanical component test facilities, to support tribological (friction and wear) testing, analysis and modeling (including mechanical equipment and rotating machinery).
- Research altitude test facility, to support the testing of engines and related systems under simulated high-altitude (pressure, temperature and humidity) conditions.
In addition to the above, we also develop, operate and maintain specialized icing masts for the Global Aerospace Centre for Icing and Environmental Research (GLACIER), a specialized 9-metre outdoor test facility located in Thompson, Manitoba that certifies the world's largest aircraft turbine engines.
We also support Pratt & Whitney Canada with the developmental testing of gas turbine engines in simulated altitude conditions at a dedicated facility at the E. L. Smith (M‑11) building in our Ottawa campus.
Why work with us
Our exclusive facilities provide a cost-effective platform to test and de-risk new technologies, enabling our clients to move their technologies to market more rapidly and meet the latest industry regulations and standards. We take a long-term view of industry needs and challenges, working with clients and stakeholders to identify the outcomes that will drive our research and technology focus, as well as in our facility investments.
We have world-class capabilities (expertise, competencies and facilities), in:
- Alternative fuels for aviation and energy-production
- Combustor and fuel nozzle development and evaluation
- Diagnostics, prognostics, and health monitoring (DPHM)
- Engine and turbomachinery aerodynamics
- Engine performance assessment and certification
- Engine test cell development
- Icing formation, detection, and mitigation
- Mechanical components and tribology (lubricants, bearings, and gearboxes)
The Aerospace gas turbine facilities are registered to the ISO 9001:2008 quality standard, covering all critical business and technical processes. All instrument calibrations are traceable to appropriate national and international standards.
We offer fee-for-service research and testing services in all of our gas turbine research testing facilities at competitive rates that include the full support of technologists, engineers and researchers in multi-disciplinary fields. Depending on the nature of a client's request, we also offer research and business opportunities that can translate into collaborative agreements or consortia work. Contact us to discuss your options and develop a customized plan to fit your technology needs.
To discuss your project or find out more about how we can support your business, contact:
Aerospace, Energy, Renewable Energy, Oil & Gas, Marine
- Date modified: