Learning and Performance Support Systems program
More than a quarter million jobs remain unfilled in Canada, mainly due to a lack of qualified candidates or other skills shortage challenges. In partnership with industry, the Learning and Performance Support Systems (LPSS) program is set to develop a technology solution that shifts the perspective from classroom to personal learning through the creation of a dynamic environment with enhanced access to learning resources when and where needed.
The LPSS program is not a single product but rather represents an evolution in learning technology from today’s proprietary closed-platform model of online learning to one that crosses organizational boundaries to create a true learning network. The program will develop an infrastructure that will facilitate the development and integration of a personalized platform technology for training, knowledge and learning management which will substantially reduce training costs and job vacancies in targeted markets.
- Interview with Stephen Downes, Research Officer, Human Computer Interaction, NRC
- Social, technical and economic realities collide: the perfect storm for personal learning
- Learning and performance support systems: personal learning record: user studies white paper
Collaborate with us
Collaborate with us on strategic research projects to help de-risk your innovative ideas, reduce your start-up costs and accelerate your commercial development timelines.
The NRC Learning and Performance Support System program addresses training and development in corporate and industrial workplaces in all industry sectors from oil and gas to policing, military and medical devices.
NRC is seeking partners of industrial end-users and software solution providers to overcome two technical challenges identified by industry:
Development of a common platform for learning resource delivery: developing a working version of the infrastructure that partners can use immediately to address their training needs. This includes data and information harvesting services, and data and information synchronization services in a common resource network marketplace.
Development of commercial services based on the common platform: focusing on commercial products that will leverage the common platform through five major projects:
- Learning as a Cloud Service will create a distributed learning layer, a mechanism for working with data no matter where it is stored, through desktop, mobile and other devices.
- Resource Repository Network will create a resource graph of learning/training resources data from multiple sources and formats including live and dynamic data.
- Personal Learning Record will define how to represent, capture and leverage user activity, including ratings, test results and performance measures in a distributed learning and work environment.
- Automated Competence Development and Recognition system will detect new and emerging competencies and automatically assess employee performance.
- Personal Learning Assistant will develop an integrated learning mechanism for searching references or resources inside other programs or environments.
By 2017, the NRC Learning and Performance Support System program will deploy an integrated, personalized technology platform for training, knowledge and learning management, that will help narrow the labour skills gap.
Partners will realize a high return on investment through reduced training and staff development costs, resulting in increased sector revenues through increased productivity.
NRC partner benefits include:
- Access to NRC's component technologies that de-risk solution development and reduce time to market.
- Early and enhanced access to next-generation learning technologies.
- Impartial performance evaluation and validation of innovative solutions.
- Access to NRC's world-class expertise and state-of-the-art facilities.
- Established partnerships and solid working relationships with leading-edge institutions, software developers and learning technology leaders.
- NRC's proven track record for successfully developing, transferring and licensing learning technologies to solution providers.
Technical and advisory services
Our critical infrastructure and expertise allows us to offer exceptional technical services. We maintain world-leading competencies in the following areas:
- Data mining and analytics
- Decision support systems
- Human-computer interface usability
- Learning and collaborative technologies
- Machine-based learning/reasoning
- Natural language processing
NRC also offers a range of existing tools and technologies on research services on an individual, fee-for-service basis.
Our world-class research facilities combined with our expertise and customized technical and advisory services make us an important resource for information and communications technology innovation.
NRC clients will have access to state-of-the-art testing facilities, including:
- e-Citizen laboratory
- Mobile Human-Computer Interaction laboratory
- Voice-Multimodal laboratory
If you would like to work with us on research and development activities or are interested in connecting with our experts, contact:
Stephen Downes, LPSS Program Lead
Online request form
Submit an online request for information about our programs and services.
Oil and gas, mining, defence, communications, training companies, software systems providers in learning management
- Date modified: