Information and communications technologies
Information and Communication Technology (ICT) industries are the backbone of the global digital economy and constitute a key driver of productivity growth in a knowledge-based economy. NRC ICT serves this critical industry by providing Canadian ICT firms with coordinated access to expertise and state-of-the-art facilities. NRC leverages technology know-how in software development, semiconducting materials and photonic device design and fabrication to de-risk ICT companies' research efforts; transfers know-how and resulting intellectual property (IP); demonstrates technologies; and supports validation and development of market-entry products and services.
NRC ICT conducts Research and Technology Development (R&TD) across the full spectrum of issues related to advanced analytics, advanced machine reasoning, individualized learning technologies, semi-conductor-based photonics, and next-generation electronics.
The development and delivery of demonstrated technologies into the ICT market can best be achieved by combining expertise and resources, and maximizing opportunities for Canadian companies at all levels of the supply chain. In this respect, NRC ICT plays a critical role by helping our collaborators bridge the gap between innovation and commercialization and by facilitating the introduction of new technologies into national and global ICT markets.
We are here to provide you with technology solutions for the following market segments:
- Advanced Photonic Components
Supporting the exponentially growing global demand for telecommunication services.
- Learning and Performance Support Systems
Developing individualized learning technologies for reduced-cost training, knowledge and learning management.
- Multimedia Analytic Tools for Security
Developing, testing and delivering highly optimized, cost-effective solutions in the area of data and text analytics as well as natural language processing.
- Printable Electronics
Adding intelligence to printed products.
The NRC advantage
NRC ICT focuses on advanced analytics, individualized learning technologies, semi-conductor-based photonics, and next-generation electronics.
Our technical services include fee-for-service testing, calibration and consulting support. We also develop and transfer technologies through consortia, collaborative research contracts and licensing arrangements, tailoring business opportunities to the needs of individual clients, partners and licensees. We will support your R&D needs through your entire development cycle, from fundamental development to pre-production prototypes, and can adapt to your specific requirements.
We offer many strategic advantages to Canadian ICT small and medium enterprise (SMEs) and large enterprises alike, as well as other government departments, universities and research and technology organizations including: telecommunications and knowledge management providers; electronic, photonics, and semiconductor companies; hardware and software companies; and security and defence agencies.
Technical and advisory services
NRC ICT is home to critical infrastructure and expertise that allows us to offer technical services in key ICT fields. We maintain world-renowned competencies in the following areas, among others:
- Advanced photonic components
- Gallium nitride electronics
- Analytical techniques and materials characterization
- Optical testing
- Semiconductor foundry services
- Natural language processing
- Data and text mining
- Human-computer interaction
- Decision support systems
- Learning and collaborative technologies
- 3D interactive visualization
- Statistical-based machine translation
- Machine-based learning/reasoning
- Cognitive modelling
NRC ICT maintains national research and technology development facilities in Ottawa, ON and Fredericton and Moncton, NB. These facilities are an important component of Canada's ICT infrastructure and include the Canadian Photonics Fabrication Centre, HCI labs, and a bioinformatics laboratory.
- Data Analytics Centre (Ottawa) brings together over 30 data scientists with expertise in machine learning and state-of-the-art algorithms to organize and analyze large data sets for a variety of fields of application.
- Materials laboratory (Ottawa) is used for the synthesis and characterization of inorganic and organic electronic materials and optical thin film coatings.
- Canadian Photonics Fabrication Centre (CPFC, Ottawa) offers our clients and partners access to cutting-edge photonics fabrication services providing simulation, design, fabrication, testing, characterization and prototyping services to help move innovative photonics devices to market.
- Photonic Devices and Assembly laboratory (Ottawa) is used for the design, modeling, testing, assembly of optoelectronics and photonic components and modules, and their integration into systems.
- Mobile Human-Computer Interaction (HCI, Fredericton) laboratory is dedicated to supporting mobile usability evaluations of mobile technology.
- e-Citizen laboratory (Fredericton) provides resources for developing software service prototypes; evaluating third party technologies; conducting participatory design sessions, focus groups and video conferences; and providing training.
- Voice-Multimodal laboratory (VML, Fredericton) supports performance and usability studies for voice and multimodal e-business and m-commerce applications.
NRC ICT exclusively owns software, programs, processes and technologies that are available for licensing under conditions tailored for you. To discuss licensing opportunities that fit your specific needs, please contact one of our business experts today.
Working with us
NRC ICT has a long and successful history of conducting commercializable research, performing technical services and developing technology solutions to support Canada's ICT industry. Our national facilities provide cost-effective platforms to test, de-risk, validate and demonstrate new technologies while our industry connections help ensure that Canadian ICT companies remain competitive in a global market.
Our clients and partners tap into our extensive pool of highly sought-after technical experts, researchers, business specialists, software designers, programmers, and engineers in the fields of novel electronic and photonic devices, prototype development, advanced analytics and machine reasoning, and individualized learning technologies.
We are a multidisciplinary organization that can link ICT activities to other key sectors including aerospace, construction, surface transportation, energy, agriculture, and security and disruptive technologies, as you need. The broad spectrum of disciplines across NRC can help move technologies forward, and the exchange of ideas among areas of research within the same organization allows for rapid technological advancements in new and exciting sectors.
Our world-class research infrastructure and unique expertise combined with competitive rates, customizable service options and high ethical standards make us the ideal partner to support your vision with innovative services and solutions.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: