Canada's aerospace industry is vibrant, innovative and complex, with a rich history and elite reputation on a global stage. NRC Aerospace supports this important industry with facilities, expertise and industry foresight that result in a constant stream of fresh ideas, new technologies, and the development and demonstration of products and processes that target the market challenges faced by the Canadian and global aeronautics and space sectors.
NRC Aerospace conducts research and technology development (R&TD) across the full spectrum of issues related to the design, manufacture, qualification, performance, use and maintenance of air and space vehicles. This work covers all of the major concerns in aerospace—cost, weight, safety, and most recently, environmental footprint.
The development and delivery of demonstrated technologies into the aerospace market can best be achieved by combining expertise and resources, and maximizing opportunities for Canadian companies at all levels of the supply chain. In this respect, NRC Aerospace plays a critical role in supporting its collaborators bridge the gap between innovation and commercialization and facilitating the introduction of new technologies into both civilian and military markets.
We are here to assist you in providing technology solutions for the following market segments:
- Aeronautical Product Development Technologies
Accelerating the development of new technologies and bringing them to market more rapidly.
- Aeronautics for the 21st Century
Developing technologies for the design, manufacturing and demonstration of next generation cost-effective and environmentally-friendly aircraft.
- Air Defence Systems
Reducing the acquisition, maintenance and operating costs as well as the environmental footprint of air defence operations.
- Civilian Unmanned Aircraft Systems
Supporting the emergence of unmanned flight into the commercial aviation sector.
- Reducing Aviation Icing Risk
Detecting and mitigating icing risks to meet new regulatory requirements, reduce operational costs and improve flight safety.
- Working and Travelling on Aircraft
Improving working and traveling onboard aircraft.
The NRC advantage
NRC Aerospace focuses on advancing aerospace research and technology developments in the core areas of aerodynamics, flight research, gas turbines, structures and materials, and manufacturing. We offer a number of research and technical services that include fee-for-service testing, calibration and consulting support. We also develop and transfer technologies through consortia, collaborative research agreements and licensing arrangements, tailoring business opportunities to the needs of individual clients and licensees.
In the midst of profound changes to the structure of the global aerospace supply chain and a worldwide race to design and manufacture the next generation of aircraft, NRC Aerospace offers many strategic advantages to Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), Tier 1 suppliers, small and medium-sized enterprises as well as other government departments, universities and research and technology organizations.
We know that a critical enabler for the commercialization of new technologies includes the much needed technology demonstration platforms and facilities to bridge the "valley of death" – the gap in technology readiness that exists between universities and industry. To that end, we offer our clients unique opportunities to participate in large-scale technology demonstration projects, creating important links between players across the Canadian supply chain and ensuring that Canadian companies remain competitive as the industry transitions from current aircraft into radically new aircraft platforms.
Technical and advisory services
NRC Aerospace is home to critical infrastructure that allows us to support a diverse client base with services in various aeronautical fields. We oversee a fleet of fixed and rotary wing research aircraft, materials performance evaluation tools and first-class aerospace manufacturing equipment. We offer technical and advisory services in the following areas:
- Advanced material removal technologies
- Aeroacoustics measurement, testing and evaluation
- Aerodynamics of bluff bodies: Surface vehicles, ground-based structures and athletes
- Aerospace structures and materials performance, including aging aircraft, composites and novel airframe materials, spin rig with cyclic and dwell mode testing capabilities, electrodynamic shaker capability, Thermal Mechanical Fatigue and more.
- Alternative fuels research
- Automation, robotics and intelligent manufacturing systems
- Combustor and fuel nozzle development and evaluation
- Composite structures development, manufacturing, and performance
- Flight data recorder and playback centre
- Flight testing
- Flight vehicle aerodynamics
- Gas turbine engine certification
- Gas turbine engine research, including performance assessment, test cell development, and diagnostic, prognostic and health monitoring.
- Hyperspectral Imaging Technologies
- Icing formation, detection and mitigation
- Mechanical components and tribology (lubricants, bearings, gearboxes)
- Metal joining and forming
- Sports aerodynamics
- Structural health monitoring (SHM) technologies
NRC Aerospace maintains national research and technology development facilities in Ottawa, Montreal and Thompson, Manitoba. These facilities are an important component of Canada's engineering infrastructure and include a state-of-the-art manufacturing centre; six wind tunnels; engine test cells with various customizable capabilities; and, the Global Aerospace Centre for Icing and Environmental Research (glacier), a specialized 9-metre-diameter outdoor test facility that sprays super-cooled water mist into the world's largest aircraft turbines.
NRC Aerospace exclusively owns a number of software programs, processes and technologies that are available for licensing under conditions tailored for each licensee. To discuss licensing opportunities that fit your specific needs, please contact one of our business experts today. Below is a sample list of the current licensing opportunities we offer:
- 2D morphogenetic icing code
- Advanced NDI (non-destructive inspection) technologies for manufacturing and MRO
- Bell 412 flight model data package (that meets the requirements for FAA level D simulation)
- Continuous resistance welding of thermoplastic composites
- Erosion resistant coatings
- Frequency selective response type control system
- High accuracy, high efficiency conductive heating technology for integral mould tool heating, bonded assembly of composite structure, and bonded repair of composite structure
- Ice crystal sensor technologies
Working with us
NRC Aerospace has a long history of conducting research, performing technical services and developing technology solutions to support the Canadian aerospace industry. Our national facilities provide cost-effective platforms to test, de-risk, validate and demonstrate new technologies while our industry connections help ensure that Canadian companies remain competitive in a global market.
Our clients come from all over the world to tap into our extensive pool of highly sought after and specialized staff that includes technical experts, researchers, test pilots, atmospheric scientists, aerodynamicists, structural dynamicists, physicists, metallurgists, software designers, instrumentation and signal analysis specialists, icing experts, programmers, and engineers in the fields of aerospace, airworthiness, chemistry, structures, materials, systems, manufacturing automation and human factors.
We operate within a multidisciplinary organization that can link aerospace activities to other key sectors including construction, surface transportation, energy, agriculture, and security and disruptive technologies, to name a few. The broad spectrum of disciplines across NRC can help move technologies forward, and the exchange of ideas between areas of research within the same organization allows for rapid technological advancements in new and exciting sectors.
Our world-class research infrastructure and unique expertise combined with competitive rates, customizable service options and high ethical standards make us the ideal partner to support your vision with innovative services and solutions.
- Date modified: