Cultivating a network of contacts as sources of information, advice and support.
Accesses known sources of information
- Accesses information through existing sources and research networks, literature reviews, etc.
- Use colleagues, team members, university, industry or government contacts to access needed information.
- Identifies experts in a field and contacts them to access information.
Builds personal contacts and networks
- Continuously builds informal, personal networks.
- Seeks out opportunities to make presentations, participate on committees, etc. to increase exposure within relevant scientific, government and business communities.
- Develops relationships and/or collaborations with credible individuals and organizations.
- Uses networks to understand the global direction of their field of research.
- Makes effective contributions to networks.
- Encourages other researchers to build networks.
- Provides opportunities for other researchers to make contacts.
- Mentors other researchers on the importance of building networks.
- Creates networking opportunities by organizing conferences, establishing consortia, etc.
- Uses information acquired from networks to influence the Institute/NRC strategic direction.
- Date modified: