Inspirational leadership (core competency)
Management behavioural competency (PDF, 174 KB)
Definition: Inspirational Leadership is about energizing and creating a sense of direction and purpose for employees and excitement and momentum for change. It involves energizing individuals to strive towards a compelling vision of the future by embracing and embodying NRC's values in all aspects of their work. It includes offering clarity around goals and objectives and ensuring that those who are led work collaboratively towards a shared purpose. It also includes the provision of the required resources and motivational support employees need to grow and the empowerment and accountability to take responsibility for their own success.
Scale progression: The scale progresses from fostering openness and respect in one's own work unit to inspiring those across the organization to strive towards a (new) shared vision for the future or a future state.
Promotes individual respect, dignity and integrity at work
- Models and promotes a culture of respect, fairness and trust where people feel appreciated and valued for their unique contribution.
- Recognizes individuals' achievements, knowledge and capabilities.
- Demonstrates an openness to others' ideas or to being influenced about another person (e.g., believing that others have something valuable to say or offer, no matter what position(s) they hold).
- Facilitates open and honest dialogue and creates a safe environment to learn, give and receive feedback.
- Suggests possible change paths or solutions to others when current solutions or mindset no longer apply.
Facilitates change and empowers employees to grow
- Assigns decision making authority to front line employees or by those most responsible for the outcome.
- Delegates to others in order to provide them with opportunities for growth, all the while offering guidance, feedback and support to ensure success.
- Encourages others to reach their full potential by supporting learning efforts that will benefit self and others; thus, creating a culture of continuous learning within the group and throughout the organization.
- Coaches and develops others by providing timely and constructive feedback and showing sensitivity to diversity and diverse needs.
- Shares own knowledge and best practices with others for the purpose of assisting in their ongoing development.
- Promotes understanding of change; effectively manages resistance or negative reaction to change.
Fosters group cohesion, shared purpose and engagement
- Brings positive energy to the group; communicates a collective purpose and creates a clear line of sight to NRC's value proposition or change agenda.
- Involves others in planning for and implementing change, and in so doing, gains their buy-in; helps others deal with their resistance to change.
- Rewards the contribution of group members; profiles individual and group accomplishments and talents across different functions, as appropriate. Creates an engaged work climate where staff understand the goals and objectives of the group or of the project or of the change.
- Communicates to colleagues, staff and/or clients why change is needed, the benefits of change, what is at stake, and how the change will positively impact employees and the organization.
Models a passion for NRC's business and builds enthusiasm for change
- Generates excitement, enthusiasm and commitment in people by translating the organization's vision, mission and values into terms that are relevant to the work being performed.
- Translates organizational change strategies into specific and practical goals, processes and time frames.
- Combines clarity of purpose with personal conviction, optimism and a sense of determination to be the best; is viewed as a role model.
- Demonstrates a genuine passion for NRC's research and technology; advocates NRC's value proposition to partners, clients and other stakeholders.
- Facilitates the group's process of discovery and learning by defining change in a way that they can embrace as their "own."
- Ensures that others clearly understand and endorse the group's mission, goals and direction and support them.
Inspires commitment to NRC's continued success and ongoing transformation
- Provides leadership to others around how to execute strategies that transition the organization from current to future state.
- Takes action to ensure that others understand and endorse NRC's strategy and mandate; creates an engaged and energized climate to help enable it.
- Is authentic; communicates a long-term vision of change that resounds with others, both within the group and beyond.
- Genuinely listens to and addresses any resistance or concerns about the future of the organization; promotes a climate of continuous transformation that will keep the organization agile and "best in class."
- Reinforces the vision of change and ensures organizational processes and practices are aligned accordingly.
- Leads and inspires others to create something truly innovative and distinguishing for NRC; publicly champions NRC's culture and/or strategy to gain broad support and commitment.
- Date modified: