Industry sector knowledge (core competency)
Management technical competency (PDF, 87 KB)
Definition: Possesses knowledge of the segments of the Canadian and international (if relevant) economies with which NRC's businesses and research are associated, including the industries and organizations that occupy the space, trends, history, and current/future developments in said industry. It includes having a complete perspective of the "big picture" in a given industry, including NRC's competitive position, a thorough understanding all the issues related to the said industry sector and the forces and factors impacting the industry. It includes knowledge of social, commercial, scientific, technological and financial accomplishments for players within said industry, in addition to their operations and business strategies and trends.
Level 1 - Foundational
Some familiarity with and ability to apply the competency in limited difficult situations
- Is aware of the industry's main players.
- Is familiar with major industry publications and professional standards.
- Shows a curiosity and willingness to learn more about the relevant industry.
- Understands that NRC operates within a specific industry segment and what it means for current projects.
- Adapts to new realities in the industry.
- Is aware of competitors in the industry and their product offerings.
Level 2 - Intermediate
Basic understanding of and ability to apply the competency in routine situations
- Understands how one player interacts with other players and the forces at play in a given industry.
- Brings key industry issues up to NRC's authorities so they can be capitalized on.
- Shares useful information about the industry's issues and directions within NRC and helps chart NRC's responses to them.
- Identifies key industry players, leaders and trendsetters.
- Understands how NRC compares overall to others in the industry.
- Collects and analyzes relevant business data on client(s) (e.g., analysis reports, etc.).
- Understands the key needs of the industry and how they relate to NRC's current offerings.
Level 3 - Seasoned
Solid understanding of and consistent ability to apply the competency in most situations
- Identifies challenges related to regulatory reforms, technology, corporate governance, globalization and increased competition in a given industry.
- Understands the implication of industrial market assessment to NRC's business.
- Has a sound knowledge of the industry, the background of most of the players and how they are evolving.
- Understands how the industry functions, how value is created and how NRC can support it.
- Maintains current knowledge of major industry segments; reads major industry publications and attends professional association meetings; keeps current with trends in the market.
- Collects, organizes, disseminates and analyzes relevant industry data and/or trends.
- Understands and masters the industry standards.
Level 4 - Advanced
Advanced understanding of and ability to apply the competency in a full range of situations
- Possesses deep knowledge of national and international industry players and how the industry intertwines with other segments of the economy.
- Is sought after by NRC teams for the depth, breadth and comprehensiveness of his or her industry knowledge and how NRC can add value.
- Maintains an up-to-date understanding of industry developments which may affect NRC's business and strategic plans.
- Reaches out to industry leaders; establishes NRC's reputation within the industry.
- May contribute to setting industry standards.
- Understands the development of industry segments, trends and emerging issues.
- Has a broad awareness of competing industries that may usurp NRC's business opportunities.
Level 5 - Mastery
Thorough understanding of and ability to apply the competency creatively in the most complex and challenging situations
- Is known internally and externally as the expert in relation to his or her knowledge of various related industries and future strategic directions.
- Articulates and discusses complex industry–specific issues and challenges within NRC; clearly understands unwritten market trends and assesses direct and indirect impact on NRC; uses that understanding to formulate strategies to exploit opportunities.
- Maintains an up-to-date and deep understanding of industry developments which may affect the client/partner organization's business and strategic plans and proactively advises clients of relevant matters.
- Provides advanced strategic support, advice and guidance to NRC's senior managers.
- Identifies critical issues at local, provincial, national and international levels for the industry and provides solutions on how to address them.
Core: Does this person depict a strong ability to gather and mine relevant industry knowledge?
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: