Openly communicating in a compelling, honest, persuasive and articulate manner, ensuring the message is clear, understood and consistent with NRC objectives.
Presents information that others understand
- Presents and shares information and facts in a logical, timely, clear and coherent manner.
- Provides the information necessary for understanding and making effective decisions.
- Supports position with relevant data, information, examples, etc., as required.
- Actively listens (e.g. builds rapport, considers other viewpoints and takes appropriate action).
- Demonstrates cultural sensitivity when communicating.
- Treats confidential information appropriately.
Fosters two-way communication
- Considers others' perspective when presenting arguments (e.g. presents mutual benefits).
- Anticipates and plans for reactions of others and tailors communication approach to the needs of the intended audience.
- Conveys an understanding of, and responds appropriately to, the comments and questions of others.
- Communicates in a tactful and sensitive way, e.g. by taking into consideration a person's background, expertise and needs.
- Knows which questions to ask, how to ask them to gain clarification, and whom to ask.
Adapts communication strategies to situations
- Deals effectively with a broad range of individuals and audiences and in a variety of contexts.
- Quickly and easily reads the environment and cues from others to assess when and how to change track or planned approach.
- Positions communication to achieve the desired results.
- Clarifies common ground between opposing points of view to advance cooperation.
- Influences others' perceptions, using consensus building, consultations and negotiations.
Uses influencing strategies
- Articulates and communicates key positions of the organization in order to influence direction.
- Uses communication strategies to develop partnerships or to obtain buy-in from others.
- Articulates and positions messages strategically and succinctly to stakeholder groups.
- Anticipates and articulates the future vision in ways that are clear and relevant.
- Creates an environment of open and effective communication.
- Date modified: