Program Leader, Security Materials Technology Program
Security and Disruptive Technologies
Ottawa - Ontario
Help bring research to life and drive your career forward with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), Canada’s premier research and technology organization.
We are looking for a dynamic Program Leader to support our Security Materials Technology (SMT) Program within NRC’s Security and Disruptive Technologies (SDTech) portfolio. You are someone who shares our core values of impact, scientific excellence, accountability, leadership, integrity and collaboration.
At present, NRC is the only organization in Canada with integrated expertise in the processing and performance validation of nano-engineered, hybrid and other advanced security materials.
The SMT Program leverages world-class engineering and scientific expertise along with unique facilities to develop and commercialize innovative material science technology to improve armour protection for the military and first responders.
As Program Leader, reporting to the General Manager, you will be responsible for developing the vision and providing leadership in the delivery, adoption, and impact of the research in the relevant domains of the program. You will also be responsible for managing key relationships with industry, government, and academia to ensure relevance and accelerate technology development and dissemination.
As Program Leader, you will be recognized for your scientific and technical excellence as well as your ability to promote a culture of respect, fairness and trust. You will be leading a multidisciplinary team of researchers and support staff from various locations and backgrounds within NRC particularly fostering relationships within the aerospace and automotive portfolios.
This position will appeal to a person who is a big picture thinker with an ability to foster collaborations with both internal and external clients. You would place a high value on people and production in providing world-class expertise in the design, prototyping and testing of advanced protection systems that will position Canadian companies as international market leaders for advanced security and armoured products.
Applicants must demonstrate within the content of their application that they meet the following screening criteria in order to be given further consideration as candidates:
Minimum of a Graduate University degree in mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, or materials science.
MBA or PMP may be considered an asset.
- Extensive experience in composite materials and their applications.
- Significant experience in leading and developing new technical directions in the advanced materials field that are relevant to industry.
- Experience in building, managing and supervising multidisciplinary teams that may be distributed geographically.
- Experience in developing business cases, strategies, providing advice, and obtaining buy-in at all levels.
- Experience in managing staff, budgets, and project planning/management.
For alternate qualifications please refer to equivalency heading below.
Bachelor's degree in a related field with extensive experience may also be considered.
Condition of employment
Candidates will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
Solid knowledge of:
- composite structural materials synthesis, design, and manufacture.
- the design and application of multifunctional materials.
- nanocomposites and new developments in the field.
- ballistic materials and performance evaluation.
- structural materials market and potential applications.
- military, defense, security, and first responder markets and barriers to entry.
- project management principles and practices.
Ability to lead a large multidisciplinary team in making key decisions in the advancement of program related projects.
- Visioning/alignment (Level 3)
- Communication (Level 3)
- Client Focus (Level 3)
- Partnering (Level 3)
- Results Orientation (Level 3)
- Teamwork (Level 3)
For this position, NRC will evaluate candidates using the following competency profile(s): | Supervisor
Relocation assistance will be determined in accordance with NRC's directives.
Posted until filled
To obtain a copy of the job description
Please direct your questions, with the hiring number (103-16-0886) to:
Telephone: (613) 991-2024
- Date modified:
- This page is updated continuously.